Thursday, September 10, 2009

10 Years Hence

In ten years i plan to have graduated from college and hopefully be either a teacher or an architect.

Ever since I was 6 years old and playing with my cousins and family, my favorite game was school. I loved to look into the awed eyes of my cousins as I taught them something I learned using my very limited knowledge. Their eyes would light up and they would ask me questions. I loved being equipped with an answer and if I knew of none, then we would take a "field trip" to be able to learn the answer. As my family watched, they would chuckle and comment on how I would make a great teacher one day. Now here I am 10 years later, looking at colleges. So I can study to become a teacher, a passion that hasn't died in 10 years. I hope that ten years from now that passion will be able to bloom in a whole new exciting way.

Another place I would love to be is working in architecture. I loved watching my grandfather build new houses for his wife and himself. Now, living in a city as old as time, I have the opportunity to view buildings in a whole new way. I enjoy seeing how light reflects on the sides and shines off buildings to create amazing shadows within and around structures. Architecture is also something that I have inherited from my grandfather. He always has great ideas and we both love to drive around together and look at different buildings and brainstorm designing our own.

Who knows maybe in 10 years I will have 3 kids and be living in the suburbs of Boston, a mere 5 minutes away from half of my family. Don't get me wrong: I think that it is great to be near family and be raising my own, before I settle I want to get out and experience life. That always becomes more difficult when children have doctor's appointments and soccer games. I watch my parents, who got married at a young age and had kids at a young age, and I can tell that they itch to be active in society. They do love us all, but it can be hard giving up your dreams and taking on 4 other members to think about.

So how can anyone know where we will be in 10 years? People and desires change. Now at 16 years old I know that what I may want now can change, but at for the time being, I'll dream my dream and hope for the best.

3 comments:

  1. didn't know that you had that kind of a dream since 6 years old.... that's quite a young age.
    guess women's independence isn't a social issue that's easy to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah i greatly desire independance, but maybe I'm just different...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woohoo for architecture! :D Thats always awesome. I miss my granpa :( he used to make metal for buildings... man he was awsome :( and Sarah, hopefully you won't end up with 16 kids like Aiken :P

    ReplyDelete